We’ve been doing a lot of baking and experimenting lately as I try out recipes that I’ve made in the past and try and re-work them to be gluten-free and dairy-free. Some have been successful, some have not. This Banana Muffins recipe was a hit with everyone!
4 medium bananas, mashed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
1.5 cups gluten-free flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas, olive oil, apple sauce, sugars and egg with a whisk or spatula until well-combined. There will be chunks of banana in it and that’s okay!
3. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir it together with a spatula. Make sure not to over mix. This is where you can add the walnuts and chocolate chips if you’re using them.
6. Bake the muffins for about 18-20 minutes. You can use a toothpick to test if the muffins are ready. They will be a nice golden brown colour.
7. Let them cool for a few minutes and then enjoy with a delicious glass of almond milk!
*This will make 18-20 large muffins. You can also make mini muffins. Just cut the baking time to about 10 minutes.
** These also work well if you want to make a big batch and freeze some for later.