It was about a year ago, that I began a challenge for myself to start every morning by drinking warm lemon water. It was hard at first, even just remembering to do it, especially with the whole morning routine with the kids. But I stuck with the warm lemon water for 30 days and I’ve never stopped.
Now it’s just something I do every morning, it’s part of my routine. When I come downstairs and start making the kids lunches, I also make cup of warm lemon water and drink it as I put their lunches together and get breakfast ready.
If I’m going to an early morning gym session, I’ll make my warm lemon water in a insulated cup and take it with me. That way when my gym sesh is done, I can drink it on my drive home.
Do I feel a difference and doesn’t the lemon affect your teeth? These are the two questions I get asked most often when I share about drinking warm lemon water on my Instagram stories. Those questions actually inspired me to write this post; to share all the benefits that warm lemon water can have for you and your body.
For me personally, I love that after my body has been sleeping all night, I am breaking this so-called fast with something good for me. Also, I find it great for digestion and being regular!
As for it being bad for your teeth, I actually use one drop of lemon essential oil in one large mug of water, so there is no acidity. The brand I use is Doterra, so if you try it, make sure the lemon EO you use is okay to ingest.
Also, if you are using fresh lemon, drink it with a straw and that way you don’t have to worry about the acidity of the lemon affecting the enamel on your teeth. Also a quick rinse or gargle after you drink it would help too.
Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water:
1. Warm lemon water is a great way to start your morning because it helps the digestive system and makes eliminating waste from the body easier and more regular.
2. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, both known to help with skin. So drinking warm lemon water regularly can help with acne, give your skin a glow and even help protect skin cells from damage. This article gives more detailed info on that.
3. Regularly drinking warm lemon water can also help boost your immune system. This is because lemons are high in vitamin C, which makes it great for fighting colds.
4. Including warm lemon water in your daily routine might also give you a mood and energy boost. According to this article, a reaction occurs when the positive charged ions from food enter the digestive tract and interact with the negative charged enzymes.
Lemon is one of the few foods that contain more negative charged ions, providing your body with more energy when it enters the digestive tract. The scent of lemon also has mood enhancing and energizing properties, it can brighten your mood and help clear your mind.
5. And finally, drinking warm lemon water each morning, before anything else, can help your body with a natural flush. The reason being, the liver is very active when you’re sleeping because that is the body’s time to restore and regenerate. According to this article, when you start your morning with water, it actually helps make sure that the body can perform these jobs most effectively.
In general, we all know that that are so many great benefits to drinking enough water each day to stay hydrated and help your body function. Your body is actually 60% water, and all the tissues, organs and cells in your body need water for proper functioning. And if you still find that your are not drinking enough water each day, why not just start with one glass or warm lemon water and then go from there?
*These thoughts and opinions of my own. For more questions or concerns about any of these topics or points, please consult your family doctor.
6 thoughts on “5 Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water”
Ok, Salma, you convinced me to give this a try! Going to do a 30 day challenge too!
Yay, that’s awesome! Good luck with the 30 days, you can do it!
I’m always unsure about drinking essential oils. I have DoTerra oils, but have read lots of articles that say ingesting (even DoTerra) still isn’t ideal. The huge concentration in essential oils being one factor.
Someone else was chatting to me about that too. And I agree that if you feel unsure, then go with the fresh lemon!
I do lemon water in the night. I wonder if that would also bring some benefits…
Oh yeah, I’m sure it does!