As moms, our purses and diapers bags are always full. We try and pack everything we need when we’re out with the kids like snacks, small toys, diapers, hand sanitizer, bib, utensils, the items are endless.
For the summer, I’ve found that these five items are must-haves in your bag when you’re out with the kids.
1. Kids socks – It’s summer, it’s hot and we are all wearing sandals and definitely not socks. But if you are taking your kids to any indoor play area’s, including at the malls, they all require socks. And instead of of forking out a few bucks every time your kids want to play, keep a pair of socks in your bag, they’ll really come in handy.
2. Empty water bottle – Keeping a small water bottle in your bag is great, especially on really hot days. It keeps you and the kids hydrated, it’s handy to refill, it saves you money by not buying water bottles and let’s face it, it’ll keep plastic bottles out of the landfill.
3. Sunscreen – A bottle of sunscreen is essential to keep in your bag for a couple of reasons. One is because if you leave it in the car, it’ll get too hot and that breaks down the sunscreen so it’s not as affective when you use it. The second reason is that if you’re anything like us, there are lots of impromptu stops at parks and spray parks and you want to make sure the sunscreen is handy to stay protected from the sun.
4. Wipes – These are always necessary, year round, for the whole family to wipe spills, dirty hands, runny noses etc.. And you can actually buy really small ones that fit easily in your purse, especially if your kids are a bit older and out of diapers.
5. Band aids and first aid cream – Summertime is full of lots of outdoor fun like parks, picnics, beaches, hikes, swimming pools and spray parks. It’s also dress and shorts season which means exposed knees. Along with the fun, the falls will happen with deeper cuts and scrapes so the first aid cream and the band aids will definitely be a necessity.
Those are the 5 essentials for my bag this summer. What would you add to the list?
31 thoughts on “5 Mom Summer Essentials for Your Purse”
I love this list to keep in your purse! I have to laugh because the partner always told me I was carrying everything but the kitchen sink in my purse, but he would hand over his keys and wallet at times for me to place inside it too!
I used to carry bibs too. That way if we ate dinner OUT somewhere, the kids had their bibs and didn’t mess their clothes. 🙂
So true Bonnie! My hubby always hands me his wallet, phone and keys and then all of a sudden he appreciates my big purse!
So, I actually sell Young Living Oils and it’s interesting to see the differences/similarities in our purses. Most of my oils are great for first aid. Lavender for cuts/scrapes, lemongrass if I am worried about infection, peppermint for nausea or upset stomach, etc. We also have wipes. And, the water bottle and socks – great ideas. Always a Mom at work!
So true Cynthia! I’ll have to check out the lavender and lemongrass. Thanks for the suggestions!
Great ideas! I would add some type of pain reliever (too much sun gives me headaches) like ibuprofen/etc.
When my little girl was younger I use to carry most of those items- especially the socks, after a few unplanned stops at an indoor playground I started carrying a pair in my purse. I still carry the wipes and the water bottle and we have Band-Aids in the car. Those few little essentials really make your day smoother.
Those definitely are essentials when you have young kids!
I always forget the bandaids and then regret it. Same goes for the socks for the play areas.
You always need a bandaid when you don’t have it 🙂
We also have toilet paper in ours, for those walks where we can’t quite make it to a washroom in time, or when we have to use a public one and there is nothing there.
I never thought about that one Sunshine.
Have you seen the In A Pikle product? It’s a direct sales company but they make these little wallet type things with this kind of idea in mind – things you need to carry and a space to carry them all.
I don’t sell them, but I think they are cool.
I haven’t heard of the product but it sounds interesting. I will have to check them out.
I think I need a bigger purse. These are all things I Need to add!
Tell me about it!
Ah yes, having first aid with you is an excellent idea!
You never know when you’ll need it.
Love your list- I always have band aids on hand- I have the most accident prone kiddos ever!
Definitely an essential!
The only other thing I would add is Tylenol – for me! These summer days can get long….. 🙂
Someone else mentioned that too Jenn!
I am all for band aid:)) I have a little mama first aid bag in the car. But having all these in your purse even better idea, especially if you have no quick access to the car!!
First aid kit in the car is a good idea too Roya.
Totally agree about the wet wipes! My blog buddy and I posted a conversation about this just the other day (http://twofunmoms.com/2014/06/of-wet-wipes-and-vhs-tapes-a-leisurely-rainy-day-momversation/). I still have two kids in diapers, but I don’t think I’ll be able to go without wet wipes once they grow out of them!
They do become a mommy essential!
I would add Benadryl, in case of bites or stings!
I didn’t think of that Heather!
I would add MONEY cause those damn kids are expensive! 🙂
Lol, very true Tami.