One of our favourite dishes to eat when we go out for dinner to a Chinese restaurant is Chicken Fried Rice. Yet whenever I’ve tried to recreate it at home, it never tastes the same. So I’d given up until a few months ago when I decided to have one more go at it. And I’m glad I did because we ended up with a delicious dish!
– 3/4 cup chopped onion
– 3 tbsp oil (each tbsp used separately)
– 1 – 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 6 drops of soy sauce
– 1 tsp of sesame seeds
– 2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken
– 1/2 cup of peas (or corn)
– 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrots
– 4 cups of leftover, cooked rice
– 4 green onions, chopped
– 2 cups of bean sprouts
– 3 more tbsp of soy sauce (add more as you like)
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok. Add the chopped onions and stir-fry until they turn a shiny brown colour, about 8-10 minutes. Take out the onions and put them in a separate bowl and the let the wok cool down a little.
2. Take the lightly beaten eggs and add in the 6 drops of soy sauce and the sesame seeds and set it aside.
3. Now add 1 tbsp of oil to the wok, swirling to coat its surfaces. Add the egg mixture and quickly swirl the egg until it sets against wok. When the egg puffs, flip it and cook the other side quickly. Take the egg out and chop it into small pieces.
4. Heat another tbsp of oil in the wok. Add your chopped, cooked chicken as well as the vegetables and the cooked onions that were set aside. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the cooked rice, green onions and bean sprouts. Mix it well together and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
6. Pour the last 3 tbsp of soy sauce as well as the chopped egg into rice mixture and gently mix it and stir-fry for 1 more minute
7. Then you’re ready to serve your Chicken Fried Rice. This is a great side dish or even a main meal. And it’s perfect leftovers for lunch the next day.