If your kids are like mine, then they love snacks. Sometimes it’s hard to to keep up with healthy and tasty snack ideas for them. Last week we experimented a little with a bunch of ingredients we had at home and came up with a Trail Mix for Kids.
It was great because we all got to make a trail mix snack that we liked. It was fun and easy because you can just use what you already have.
For the ingredients, you can use what ever dry stuff you have in your cupboards. Here’s what we had:
– nuts (almonds, cashews)
– dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots)
– pumpkin seeds (you can also use sunflower seed)
– pretzel sticks
– mini chocolate chips
– multigrain cheerios
1. Give your kids a reusable container that has a lid that works and put all the ingredients in front of them.
2. Let them pick everything they want to add into their trail mix. I told mine that hey had to try a little bit of everything (and just keep an eye on the chocolate chips!)
3. Once they are done, put the lid on the container and let the kids shake. It mixes it all up and of course it’ll be fun for the kids.
4. And that’s it, the Trail Mix is done. Keep it accessible so the kids can reach it when they feel like having a snack or you can even use it in their lunch at school for recess.
What are your kids’ favourite snacks?
6 thoughts on “Trail Mix for Kids”
Such a cool idea! And yeah, smart to watch out for the chocolate chips. This morning I let my 6 year old put her own sugar in her oatmeal! Yikes!
So it was more like, ‘a little oatmeal with her sugar?’ 😉
Great idea. I especially love the bottles! Do you ever add seasonings to your trail mix?
I haven’t tried any seasonings but that is a good idea!
Love this! I will make this mix to take on the plane to India 🙂 And love the milk jug packaging 🙂
Thanks Kamana, I hope you enjoy it!