Now that the kids are a bit older, we usual have pretty simple breakfasts on weekday mornings. But sometimes, the usual gets boring. On those days, if I have the time, I’ll make something different. Sometimes it’s these Breakfast Cookies. Other times, it’ll be Breakfast Muffins.
My oldest absolutely loves these Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast muffins. And the great thing about them is that they are sugarless and flourless!
Flourless Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
Ingredients for Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins:
– 2 small ripe bananas
– 1/2 cup milk (this recipe works with almond, soy and dairy milk, whichever you prefer)
– 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp hemp hearts (optional)
– 2 cups of oats (rolled and quick oats work best)
– 3-4 Tbsp of chocolate chips
Instructions for Breakfast Muffins:
2. In a large bowl, pour in the milk and unsweetened applesauce and whisk well until everything is fully combined.
3. Add the the egg to the mixtures and whisk it in completely. Do the same with the baking powder and vanilla and hemp hearts. You don’t want to be able to see any white bits.
4. Then mash up the banana (I like to do it while it’s still in the skin.) Add it to the bowl and whisk until combined.
5. Then mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
6. Grab your muffin tins. Grease them so the muffins don’t stick to the pan. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Fill each up the muffin tin. Put them in the oven for 23-25 minutes. You will know they are done when the bottoms are browned.
Easy as that, you have these delicious, flourless, sugarless Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins. They are perfect for busy mornings when you need breakfast on the go or even as an after-school snack.
This recipe will make 12-15 muffins. They are good for about 5 days on the counter or 10 days in the fridge. You can make a double batch for freeze for a future breakfast emergency.
Here are more of our favourite muffin recipes.
And you can also check out this Pinterest board for more muffin recipes.
25 thoughts on “Flourless and Sugarless Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins”
Nice – I’m gonna try making these during my live broadcast on PocketLIVE!
I tried watching but my kids kept bugging me because they were hungry and wanted dinner 😉
Is there a way to watch it after the fact?
Ha, yes – it replays until the next broadcast. But I didn’t do it yesterday because my bananas were still green. So probably in today’s broadcast!
Oh that’s perfect! I will try watching again today. I have a sick kid so hopefully they won’t be as demanding 😉 And yes, you don’t want to use green bananas. I’ve heard putting them in a bag and closing the bag makes them ripen faster.
OMG, those look delicious and so ideal for the kids lunch boxes!
You’re right, they are totally perfect for school!
i like to have quick make ahead snacks/breakfast on hand! this sounds great and hopefully i can switch up fruits and nuts.
I love how easy, yummy and healthy these sound! Thanks for sharing it Salma!
Anytime, hope you like them Sarah!
These look really good. I am always looking for a good breakfast recipe
These are a favourite in our house.
Yum! Made these this afternoon for an after-school snack and they were a big hit! I only had chia seeds so used those instead of hemp seeds. Unfortunately not many left for breakfast or lunch tomorrow! Thanks!
So glad everyone liked them Roxanne! Next time you’ll have to make a double batch 😉
Have you tried making these in paper muffin cups?
They do work in muffin cups but get stuck to the paper so you’d need to grease it more.
Can you add protein powder to these
I’ve never tried adding it before. I’m sure you could but it would probably changed the taste and texture a bit. Let me know how it goes if you do try it.
Oh my, these are so yummy. Even my picky 14-year-old thought they were awesome. Great recipe, thank you.
I’m so glad everyone liked them!
Can you add something besides bananas? Can’t have bananas.
You can try apple sauce
Have you made these as mini muffins?
I actually haven’t tried them as mini muffins. Let me how that worked for you!
I don’t have applesauce at hand. Can I substitute anything else?
Apple Sauce can be replaced with butter (softened) 🙂