Chia Overnight Oats
I was a skeptic about overnight oats for a very long time. For me, oatmeal needs to be warm. I feel nostalgic when i think of my mom making me porridge in the morning with milk and brown sugar. But the need for a quick grab and go breakfast got me to finally try Overnight Oats a few months ago and boy am I glad I did.
This recipe for Chia Overnight Oats is delicious, healthy and perfect for those mornings when you don’t have much time. You can use different ingredients to change it up with the same base!
Easy Chia Overnight Oats
1/2 cup oats
1/2 – 3/4 cup any ‘milk’ you prefer, I used soy. (less milk will have thicker consistency, more milk will be thinner)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp hemp hearts
1 tbsp vanilla protein powder (optional)
Add on options:
1. 1 tbsp of peanut butter and half a tsp of ground cinnamon. (In the morning, top with sliced bananas and chopped walnuts.)
2. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. (In the morning, top with chopped almonds and your favourite berries.)
Instructions for Easy Chia Overnight Oats
1. First add your oats. I like to use a mason jar for easy storage and mixing.
2. Then add your ‘milk,’ chia seeds, hemp hearts and protein powder. Whisk with a fork until combined. Add your “add ons” in the jar. Whisk again. Then put the lid of the mason jar back on securely, shake for 60 seconds.
3. Put your jar in the fridge overnight. In the morning, open the jar and mix the oatmeal a little. Add more milk to get the consistency you like. Add your favourite toppings and enjoy your easy Chia Overnight Oats!